Friday 18 January 2008

Believing in yourself

For decades I have made New Year's Resolutions, they always seem so impossible to keep - partly because January can be such a miserable month and mostly because making a resolution is a set-up to do nothing!

This year I did not 'resolve' on January 1st. For me 2008 doesn't feel like a new year it just feels like a continuation of the amazing time I am having - how lucky is that?

I am also very lucky to be going to see my good friends and business associates Mr Mario Doucet and Mr Joe Plaskett soon in Paris. Seeing them work hard as practising artists inspires me and it's such an opportunity to go and look at other people's artwork in the mass of galleries in Paris.

Talking of other people's artwork, I saw the bizarre and very clever images by photographer and digital artist Carl Warner in the press late last week and thought I'd share - odd and amazing at the same time.

So here is a picture I painted on Wednesday and Thursday this week and I'm very pleased with it. I'm so interested in the older faces I see, for me they talk about life and experience. I am proud enough know several people in their eighties and nineties, they must have seen and done so much. Imagine if we were all divided into little squares of experience and knowledge and as we learned more these increased, think of all the squares of knowing in someone of greater years - fascinating...

No comments: