Monday 6 April 2009

Interesting people

Today I became a gallerist-for-the-day at my exhibition at Bear Steps Gallery in Shrewsbury. Playing shop-keeper can be a bit of a challenge for the fiddly-type on a quiet day so I had armed myself with current amazing book The Child that Books Built by Francis Spufford.
Writing now at 9pm it's good to reflect how at 9am I could have been so wrong. I have had one of the most interesting days. A fusion of great conversation, fascinating people, encouragement and useful feedback, the unexpected loan of a fab book - Faces by photographer Jane Bown - and the sale of a drawing (Country Trio, below) to a man who I know, (after his three visits to my show and much discussion) will really appreciate my work.

I was so pleased when I got back to the office to find a new Email from Marcella Savaget talking about how she loved the work of my good friend Mario Doucet to which I had sent her a link. Marcella also passed on news about the important exhibition at Fondation Cartier in Paris of works by our mutually admired artist Brazilian, Beatriz Milhazes - I am so excited at this thought that I need to find a way to go and see the show.
I find it amazing how people are linked by their love of certain things, art, cars, film, architecture, children - we all have so much knowledge in common, my potentially quiet day has shown me this. Next time I want to entice people to appear and teach me things I know to take a book and intend to read!

No comments: